5.27.2009

Jill Teige: a newly graduated Collinsite

I’ll never forget the first time I came to Collins. It was right after I had been accepted to IU, and I wasn’t sure about the whole dorm-life thing. I did (and still do) like living with my parents, and wasn’t thrilled about having to move in with a bunch crazy, partying college students. When I first saw Collins, I decided it would be okay to live there, because it looked just like Hogwarts (don’t tell me you don’t see Hogwarts when you look into the dining hall… We all do). I knew even if the people were crazy, this was a place I could live.

That fall, when I moved into Cravens, I quickly found out that yes, the people are crazy, but they’re my kind of crazy. I stayed up too late so many times my freshman year chilling out in the Chesh, or just sitting on the floor with some floormates, talking until all hours of the night. We all come to college to learn, and the academics were great, but I think it was somewhere in the halls of Collins that I learned to be an adult. I also learned how to listen, how to tell stories, how to freak out one night and be functional the next day. My Collins family not only helped me learn to be a person, it also helped me learn to be part of a community. Most of the best friends I made in college I met in Collins, and I’ll never forget them or the lessons they taught me about family. Those lessons are just as important as the ones I got in my classes.

I’d be in trouble if the Collinsites hadn’t taught me how to build a family from friends; I’m moving to California in the fall, and will be further from home than I’ve ever been in my life. I’m super excited to be moving there, where I’ll be working towards my doctorate in physical chemistry at the University of California at Berkeley. I don’t know what specifically I’ll be studying yet; I do know I’ll be working with lasers doing some sort of spectroscopy, but I can’t be more specific than that yet. Whatever it is, I’m sure it will be awesome; I chose Berkeley not only because it’s chemistry program is incredible, but because its students reminded me most of Collinsites. It’s hard to argue with a program that has such incredible researchers, and is placed in such a beautiful area.