Alex Lahmeyer can continue to live at Collins and be a tremendous leader—all because he was one of this year’s recipients of the Collins LLC award, funded by your donations.
Here’s what Alex has to say:
What do you do here at Collins?
I’m the vice-president of the Board of Programming (BOP), the promotions and decorations coordinator in the Welcome Week leadership committee, and a member of executive board; I was a Q instructor this fall, and I’m a barista in the Cheshire Café. I’ve also done a lot of individual programming, like The Gnomazing Race last year.
Do you have time for campus involvement, too?
Right now, I’m double-majoring in psychology and sociology. I volunteer as an usher at the IU Auditorium, and last year I volunteered at GLBT student support services. I just recently joined the ballroom dance club, and I sit on the Campus Housing Advisory Committee.
How has living at Collins benefited you?
I’ve met a lot of really genuine people and forged strong friendships. I didn’t realize, until I came to Collins, that I had a really limited view of the world. Here, I’ve met people from many backgrounds with varying aspirations. I feel that the Collins experience has opened my eyes to so many different perspectives.
I also have really grown as a leader here. Being a Q instructor and VP of BOP have taught me how to develop a personalized leadership style, how to collaborate with others, and how to throw myself out of my comfort zone. I’m currently unsure of the career I’d like to pursue after I graduate, but, right now, as a result of my experiences at Collins, I’ve been thinking about event planning.
What does this scholarship mean for you?
It makes me unbelievably happy. This scholarship means that I can stick around Collins longer and remain involved with everything I enjoy. It also puts me at ease knowing that there is less stress for my father, who has had a rough financial year due to health problems. Most of all, though, the scholarship makes me feel appreciated, and it's reassuring to find that the things I've done have positively affected the community that I have grown to love.